People say “talk is cheap.” They’re wrong. Our words can make a difference in the actions that matter. Our willingness (and ability) to have crucial conversations impacts our results and relationships.
90% of our communication is routine, regular, and casual. And we do really well at it! But what about the other 10%? These are the conversations that aren’t regular, routine, or casual. And this is where people melt-down.
If someone doesn’t want to talk with you, they won’t. Even if you were to practise every skill we teach in Crucial Conversations exactly the way we tell you to do it, you can’t force someone to open up. But if you persist, the other person almost always will join you — even if it takes some time.
One of our main goals in Human Resources is to help our companies, employees, and ourselves build a better and brighter future. After 40 years of training and consulting, Ron McMillan shares the three big lessons every HR specialist should take to heart to make your impact on the future even more meaningful.